Location: South end of Ben Franklin Drive
Schmidt Zoldan, a pioneer, settled on the southern tip of this
key and in 1904 applied for a homestead. His claim, granted
in 1910, included much of the land which became South Lido Park.
Once known as Sarasota Key, the island was renamed Lido Key
as part of the 1920's Ringling Isles development. The project
created modern Lido Key from several small islands enhanced
by millions of cubic yards of fill. Neither Ringling nor subsequent
owners commercialized this fragile point. In 1974 the property
was acquired after referendum by the County of Sarasota, and
this park was established.
Sarasota County Parks & Recreation Department
Sarasota County Historical Commission 1986.