|Location: 1000 S. Tamiami Trail|
construction of a new Sarasota High School was recommended in
John Nolen's Comprehensive Plan for the City of Sarasota in
1925. The architect, M. Leo Elliott, also designed the Southside,
Bay Haven, and Osprey Elementary Schools during Florida's "land
boom." The site selected for the high school was on the
new Tamiami Trail.
The building, designed in the "Collegiate Gothic" style, was recognized in the local press as one of the most modern in the entire South upon its completion in 1927. Elliott's primary emphasis was on the school's entrance bay which is a four and one-half story red brick tower, highly ornamented with glazed terra cotta tracery, spandrels, and crockets. The original entrance lobby was marked by a coved ceiling and Tudor-arched arcades with cluster columns and heraldic shields.
In 1958-59 a growing student body necessitated the expansion of the school. Paul Rudolph, later an architect of international renown, designed the innovative, modernistic structure facing Bahia Vista Street. Sarasota High School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Sarasota County Historical Commission 1990.