Location: South side of Main St. at US 301
the formation of Sarasota County in 1921, a permanent seat of
government was needed. This site, once an Indian village, was
donated by Charles and Edith Ringling to be used for a courthouse
"forever." A bond issue was authorized and Dwight
James Baum was commissioned to design this Mediterranean style
structure. To symbolize the balance of power there are two wings,
one for administration, the other for judicial purposes. A tower
and reflection pool connected them. Construction began in 1926
and was completed in 1927. Additions to the original building
have kept that Mediterranean theme.
Sarasota County Historical Commission 1982.