Location: West side Central Avenue between 6th and 10th Streets
Cemetery is burial place for many early Sarasota citizens, civic
leaders, and entrepreneurs including Scotsman John Hamilton
Gillespie, first mayor and local manager for Florida Mortgage
and Investment Co., British land developers of the municipality.
The cemetery was set aside in plat Town of Sarasota, filed on
July 27, 1886 by the promoters of the ill-fated Ormiston Colony
and was deeded to the incorporated City seventeen years later.
Early families with members interred here include Abbe, Browning,
Burns, Grantham, Cunliff, Halton, Higel, Pelot and Whitaker,
Owen Burns purchased the founding corporation's holdings in 1910. His influence has been credited with guiding the true flowering of the city laid out by the Scots.